Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1 - The Arts and Crafts Movement


The Arts and Crafts movement has always been my favorite period of architecture and design. I am very organized, simple, and purposeful in my designs, and I fully agree with William Morris’s quote have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.” Because of this way of thinking, I usually shudder while looking through the Victorian era, but now I understand why the interiors were the way they were. If I could afford to purchase a bunch of knickknacks from all over the world, I probably would.

Another aspect about the Arts and Crafts movement that I found interesting was how it rebelled against the Victorian period. Furniture in the Victorian period was known for being poorly manufactured and put together with no logical thought because the Industrial Revolution allowed for mass production and false materials. This process reminds me of Ikea because all of the furniture is affordable, identical, and poorly made. To contrast this period of “shoddily made furniture,” the Arts and Crafts movement brought back handmade and durable furniture. They made the wood joints visible, exposed the hinges, and created carved details in their furnishings.

One thing I found very interesting while learning about this movement was the development of William Morris as an architect. He was placed as an apprentice under Philip Webb, but then Morris founded his own company – Morris, Marshall, and Faulkner – and Webb ended up working there, as well. It appears as though they switched places through their careers.

While I’ve always loved the Arts and Crafts movement and the affects it has had on modern architecture and design, I never knew why it came to be or why the movement was what it was. Now that I have a little more knowledge about the movement, I can appreciate it much more.

Design Examples


This is a desk designed by Charles Voysey. He was very fond of simplicity and sophistication, which is shown through this particular piece.










This textile was designed by William Morris and is kept in an archive of his original work through his company.











This occasional table was designed by Edward Godwin, who took a different approach to the Arts and Crafts movement and enjoyed making use of void areas.













Current Applications


Arts and Crafts inspired oak cabinet with metal handles.












Arts and Crafts inspired oak table with visible wood joints.








Arts and Crafts inspired kitchen island with heavy oak construction.













One Step Further


Charles Rennie Mackintosh was born in Glasgow in 1868 and attended the Glasgow School of Art in 1883. In 1890, he was awarded the Alexander Thomson Travelling Studentship for the furtherance of ancient classic architecture. It was then that he returned to the Glasgow School of Art and met the people who would make him known as the man who started the Arts and Crafts Movement in Scotland.

Charles Mackintosh, Herbert MacNair, Margaret MacDonald, and Frances MacDonald were known as “The Four”, and they were under the leadership of headmaster Francis Newberry. Together, they compiled beaten metalwork panels and furniture to show in the 1896 Arts and Crafts Exhibition in London. Editor Gleeson White enjoyed their work, published articles about it, and thus began the Arts and Crafts movement in Scotland. Along with this accomplishment, Mackintosh also designed an extension to the Glasgow School of Art, designed the Hill House and Windyhill, and even designed the Tea Rooms in Glasgow.

After his days of being an architect were over, Charles Mackintosh became a watercolorist until his death in 1928. His legacy in Scotland seems to be great, because even after his death his buildings were being constructed, such as his “house for an art lover.” In 2012, Charles’ artwork sold for millions of dollars and in 2015 it was decided to reconstruct one of his tearoom designs in a museum. It is obvious that Charles Mackintosh had a powerful impact on not only his community, but his country and others, as well.

Tea Room















Hill House
















House for an Art Lover

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you on now having a better understanding of the Victorian period and why the interior were the way they were. I personally think during the Victorian period should have just stayed with architecture and not have moved inside with the interior. As you look at the Victorian home they are absolutely gorgeous architecture but when you step in side it would be a nightmare of a design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that understanding the history of a movement or the history of a design style helps you appreciate it that much more. Also, I would totally be that person who bought everything she saw and could afford during the Victorian Era. So, I would be that women who lived in a house full of clutter and chaos.
    Lastly, I also knew about the arts and crafts style, but never knew the history behind it. So, learning about the impact that the Victorian era and the industrial revolution had on the establishment of this design style made me appreciate, and understand it just that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also always enjoyed the Arts and Crafts style, and the clean lines and simplicity of it. Something I enjoyed while studying the movement was learning about how widespread it became and how quickly. The movement even still has influences today, like you talked about. I enjoyed looking at your pictures of the modern applications of the Arts and Crafts style.
    I also thought it was interesting that you equated the Industrial Revolution to IKEA furniture, because I had a similar thought while studying it. Perhaps modern society should remember that handcrafted details are just as important as efficient production.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catie,
    Thank you for a very informative post on the Arts and Crafts Period. I love that you focused on Rennie Mackintosh as you share the love of water color with him.
    There is always the tension between producing less expensive and lower quality furniture for the masses or more expensive higher quality furniture that fewer people can afford.
    IKEA is a great example of this today!

    ReplyDelete